Microsoft word - egd instructions rev. 4.18.11.doc
RYAN CRENSHAW, M.D. 21135 Whitfield Place, Suite 102 Sterling, VA 20165 703-444-4799 INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPPER ENDOSCOPY (EGD)
This procedure needs to be completed within 90 days of your last office visit.
** Please read 2 weeks prior to your appointment. If you fail to follow the instructions and the procedure has to be cancelled, the cancellation fee will be charged.**
** If you need to cancel your procedure, please let us know 3 business days prior to the procedure. If you fail to do so, you will be charged a $250.00 cancellation fee.** ** You will receive a confirmation call from our office staff at least 5 days prior to your scheduled procedure(s). All procedures(s) must be confirmed in order to remain on the schedule. If you do not receive a call from our office, please contact us at 703-444-4799.
1. If you take blood thinners such as Aspirin, Plavix, or Coumadin, Dr. Crenshaw may recommend for you to
hold these medications 8 days prior to your procedure(s), depending on what agent you are taking.
Patients on Coumadin (Warfarin): If approved by the prescribing physician (i.e. cardiologist/primary care provider), you will be asked to stop your Coumadin 5 days prior to your procedure(s). You will also be asked to obtain a PT/INR, PTT blood test the day prior to your procedure(s). If you did not receive an order for this blood test please contact our office at (703) 444-4799. Dr. Crenshaw will instruct you regarding the date to restart Coumadin (Warfarin) on the day of your procedure(s) Patients on Plavix (Clopidogrel): If approved by the prescribing physician (i.e. cardiologist/primary care provider), you will be asked to stop your medication 7 days prior to your procedure(s). Dr. Crenshaw will instruct you regarding the date to restart your Plavix (Clopidogrel) on the day of your procedure(s).
Patients taking Aspirin: Please make sure one of the two boxes is checked off below. If not, please contact our office at (703) 444-4799.
Please continue to take 81 mg Aspirin or 325 mg Aspirin until the day of the EGD. Please discontinue to take 81 mg Aspirin or 325 mg Aspirin until the day of the EGD.
2. If you are taking a PPI (Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex, Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Zegerid or Protonix), please
follow instructions checked in the box below:
Please discontinue PPI for 2 weeks prior to the EGD. You may take Zantac 75mg or 150mg daily,
with or without Maalox, up until the day prior to the procedure. This will help to obtain a more accurate result for the H. Pylori test.
Please continue taking the PPI until the day prior to the EGD.
3. It is highly recommended that you take your medication for heart disease, high blood pressure and asthma the morning of your procedure. Please take them 4 hours prior to your procedure that day with a small sip of water. All other medications should be brought to the hospital to be taken after our procedure.
4. You may take other medications as you usually do, up to the day before your procedure, except for
recommendations in paragraphs #1 and #2.
5. (a) If your procedure time is prior to 12 pm, do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night prior to your procedure, except for medications as described in paragraph #4 above.
(b) If your procedure is scheduled 12 pm or later, you can consume up to 24 oz. of a clear liquid until 5 hours prior to your scheduled procedure time. SAMPLE MENU FOR CLEAR LIQUID DIET: White or grape cranberry juice, apple juice, tea, coffee (no milk), soup broth, Sprite, 7up, Ginger Ale, fruit-flavored ice.
6. You should not drive until the next day. The medication that you will receive during the procedure will
impair your driving ability. Do not drive a car for at least 24 hours after the procedure. You must arrange for someone to pick you up after the procedure.
7. Medical clearance may be required prior to this procedure; you will be informed if you will need an EKG or
8. The hospital or surgery center will contact you before the procedure for a pre-operative interview. If you do
not receive a telephone call 2-3 days prior to the procedure, please contact the appropriate hospital/surgery center at the telephone number provided at the time of your office visit.
9. The day of your procedure, please arrive one hour prior to your scheduled time.
The GROUNDSHEET The Official Publication of The Royal Westminster Regiment Association ‘Dedicated to the ideals and comradship we knew in wars and peace in our services both home and abroad.’ Volume 2006/Issue 2 ‘Pro Rege et Patria’ P.O. Box 854, New Westminster, BC. V3L 4Z8 Melfa Weekend is not in May! The Melfa Weekend Dinner and AGM will be J
2010 AAP NAtioNAl CoNfereNCe & exhibitioN Dermatology tueSday, OctOber 5, 2010 F2099 Acne Update ➤ Saturday, OctOber 2, 2010 C Repeats➤from➤F2045 X4003 Atopic Dermatitis This session wil demonstrate how to formulate X1012 Dermatologic Potpourri A2105 Dermatology Look-Alikes an appropriate treatment plan for atopic dermati-tis and when to refer.